Saturday, April 26, 2008

Down for the Count

Last Thursday, the 17th, I went to the doctor because I had a dry hacking cough, my throat was on fire and my chest hurt. He said I had bronchitis (I had to ask for the diagnosis after he started writing prescriptions) and gave me a zpak and some prednisone. I took the medicine home and like a good patient, I took them exactly as the instructions said and I finished them all. Throughout the next week, I kept expecting to start feeling better, only I didn't. I went to work even though I didn't feel good because if I missed work every time I felt a twinge of something, then I would never go. But by Thursday, a week after the initial doctor visit, I was so much worse that I couldn't sleep for the coughing an nasal congestion. So, I headed back to the doctor, but not to the same one. I went to CareNow hoping they could tell me what was really wrong and give me something to fix it. Two and a half hours after checking in, I was walking back out the door after receiving a breathing test, chest xrays, two shots in the butt - one on each side so they would hurt equally - and 3 new prescriptions. The diagnosis...pneumonia...this second doctor thinks the first misdiagnosed me and the pneumonia has been sitting in my lungs for the last week. GREAT! I won't be going back to the first doctor again. Anyway, I was suppsed to take my students on a field trip today to the Texas Discovery Gardens and The Science Place in Fair Park. When I asked if I could go to work, the doctor laughed at me and said if I was tempted she could put me in the hospital. I told her no thanks, that I would cooperate and stay home.
Well, the meds are working. The cough is abating some, I can breathe and my chest only hurts when I cough. I have to go back tomorrow for a checkup and in two weeks for another chest xray just to make sure the pneumonia is cleared up. Even though I'm tempted not to go tomorrow, I think I'll go anyway because I certainly don't want to get worse.
My sweet friend Emily brought me some things this evening to occupy my time: a piece of cake (it was yummy), some ice cream bars (I look forward to them tomorrow), movies to watch, a puzzle book since I am bored with Sudoku, and a coloring book and crayons. It sure does stink to have to take care of yourself when you are sick, but with my bag of goodies, I think I'm going to make it.

1 comment:

The Powell Family said...

Yea-you blog! It really made me miss you more...wat in the world pneumonia? It's so you ,really-BUT at least you didn't break anything! PLEASE come see us soon-you would love my kids! I know they would love you too...are you feeling better now?
(keep us with us at katymom.com)