Sunday, June 8, 2008

Out for the summer

Well, summer is officially here - weather-wise and job wise. I said goodbye to my 6th group of 2nd graders last Wednesday and bid adieu to my coworkers on Thursday after a luncheon at Texas Land & Cattle. I will see them all again in about 10 weeks but the next time I see my students, they will be 3rd graders (well, all but one - he will join me for one more year in 2nd grade). My very first year of 2nd graders will be 8th graders next year - I saw one of them back in April and I barely recognized her.
So, what would you do if you had 10 weeks of vacation in a row but no extra money for traveling? Well, the first thing I did was stop at the library and pick up a stack of books (7). That was Thursday afternoon and I've already finished two. On Friday, I hit the road - nothing exciting - just headed to my parents. I can't afford to travel anywhere exciting, but going home means free food and a break on electricity at home because I turned it up real high. I'm not sure how long I'll be here but most likely at least a week. I managed to secure a part-time job for the summer and the week of the 23rd, I will begin working as a nanny for a 4 year old girl. It looks to be the perfect position - just hang out with one kid (some days maybe 2) for 3 weeks. The pay isn't too bad either. I have some fun ideas of things we can do to pass the time like the Science Place at the Museum of Nature and Science and the Dallas World Aquarium. I expect I'll have fun.
My family reunion is in mid July and I'm looking forward to that - we didn't have one last year and with such a large family it's hard to keep up with everyone sometimes.
Other than that, I am looking at 10 weeks of teaching-free whatever. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens.

1 comment:

The Powell Family said...

Hey lady! Wish we could've had you at chuch today-Greyson led worship! Lissa and her kids are here for the next 2 weeks-email me if you wanna venture out to Katy!
loripowell@gmail.com